Tuesday 27 November 2012

Where there are Rhythm and Hymns there are bound to be Signs of A Struggle

Mattafix


I just have to say that I am the Biggest fan of Mattafix... I have been loyally following the group since 2005, since I heard 'Big City Life' for the first time, and for a good reason. You know as you grow up trying to find yourself, sometimes you feel like no one understands, you're lost in the world, or you are an emotional mess, the songs from Mattafix were like that inner voice that made you realise that you are not alone in this.  They might not be pop artists, and might not even be well know to many (which is a unbelievable, and such a shame), but they write music that relates to most.

Their deep and thought provoking lyrics are accompanied by well laid out acoustic/electro/soul/pop/ reggae instrumentals and that leaves you bobbing your head back and forth, and even want to dance to some degree....The point is to let you reflect while soothing you with their eclectic sound.

Unfortunately Mattafix is in hiatus, there are many varying reasons why this might be, and I wont dwell on them because just hearing that they were no longer put me on a downer for a moment and a bit. So, instead I will share some of their music and reminisce...

Passer By from 'Signs of a Struggle'

Angel on my Shoulder from 'Rhythm and Hymns'



I recently purchased a copy of Marlon Roudette's latest album, Matter Fixed. I was quite excited and saddened at the same time because its a solo album. I was rather happy though, and still in a Marlon cloud from listening to each one of his songs that I have on repeat. The sound is a bit different, but the lyrical content is still very meaningful, relatable, but more personal....

Honestly, one of the best albums of the year, but hardly anyone knows of it! there were only 9 copies in Musica they don't even stock them at Look&Listen, and it took the manager a few minutes to actually locate where they had hidden them.

Marlon Roudette

This is one of the track from this album...
Riding Home from 'Matter Fixed'

I was going to go into the depth of their music, but I think the music speaks for itself, plus I'm not going to pretend to understand what place they were coming from when they wrote their songs. Everyone relates with the words or the music differently, as it should be.

I believe that Mattafix's music will always be relevant and timeless. Do yourself a big favour, give them a listen... you'll thank me later ;)

Whats your favourite tune?

No comments:

Post a Comment